Here are a few examples of SUDs techniques which effectively slow down and treat runoff water.
- Permeable surfaces – specially designed block work which allows passage of water through its surface to storage or soakaway.
- Filter strips – Strips of grass bordering which are designed to receive water from hard-standings. The strips remove sediment and pollution from runoff water.
- Swales – Shallow sided ditches which are planted with grass. Designed to slow the passage of water.
- Bioretention areas – short term water storage areas, often planted with shrubs and trees.
- Sedimentation ponds and basins – Longer term storage of runoff.