Planning & Consent to Discharge (NI Only)

Planning Service does not require an application for construction of reed beds as replacement systems for existing treatment for single domestic dwellings only. The entire system should be within the borders for the property. Other reed bed systems may require a planning application.
All reed bed installations which discharge water to the environment require a ‘Consent to Discharge’ certificate from NIEA (Northern Ireland Environment Agency)–Water Management Unit (WMU) . The application process currently takes from three to six months. There are two types of application, depending on the type and volume of discharge (Form WO1/WO2). Advice on applications and fees should be sought from NIEA WMU if required. NIRBC can make applications on your behalf.